Breadsticks & Chill

You know happens this week, right?


(Yes, Galentine's Day. Get ready to celebrate, Knope-style.)

Of course, just following that is Valentine's Day. Now, maybe the worst thing about Valentine's Day is that people only fall one of three ways.

You love it. You hate it. You couldn't care less.

I still fall under "love it." Despite a myriad of predictable and occasionally distressing relationships, I've always been single on Valentine's Day. So, my version of love it is based more on the dousing of pink and red, a natural affinity for chocolate, and the idea that there is a whole day on the calendar dedicated to sharing love.

Though, I could just as easily fall under "hate it." I can do a good bitter. I can do a good boo-hoo, lonely heart, men suck. But God, that is so not worth it. I mean, why would you purposely look at a day, and think well that is going to suck because I am not romantically involved with anyone?

No. C'mon. Valentine's Day has become so stupidly complicated. Why can't it be as simple as eating breadsticks with people you like? Who can honestly argue that that is not worth a day on a calendar?

No one.

So, yes, we could stand around and argue all day about it being a Hallmark holiday, how you should be telling the ones you love that you care for them every day, and celebrating them every day, and blah blah blah.

But you know what? Most of us don't reach out enough as it is to everyone in our lives. We don't go out of our way to say, I care about you, I'm proud of you, I'm praying for you, I'm happy for you, I hope you find what you're looking for, I hope you enjoy your day, and 100,000 other renditions of that. We don't. (And if you do, you're a better person than I am, and I hope you're spreading that love far and wide.)

So why not set aside a whole day for that? I think that's awesome. I think getting together with whoever you damn want, and celebrating the fact that they are in your life and that it is awesome, that is a pretty good holiday.


You don't want to buy-in to the chocolates, and the teddy bears, and the cards? Don't.

You wanna go crazy and clear out the entire three aisles in CVS? Do it.

Sure one day I'll be in a relationship, and Valentine's Day will fall on a Tuesday, and I'll be tired, and I'll see the allure of ignoring the whole day. But for now, I'll be wearing red, and eating something heart shaped - probably just veggies and chicken though, let's be honest - and I'll celebrate in my own very single, love it kind of way.


And one more thing, there is no shame in being single on Valentine's Day - so let's just nix that idea right now. There is no reason that you should go out and buy and extra large pizza and sit in your bed and cry. I mean, get pizza, of course. But celebrate that shit. Watch some Game of Thrones, blast some Jonas Brothers. I don't know - but girl, if you have an extra large pizza to yourself, you have literally nothing to cry about. 

No comments